Friday, June 7, 2013

Cultural Differences

So I was told by many people that I would experience culture shock once I got here, and experience reverse culture shock once I got back into the United States. For those of you that don't know the most simplistic definition of culture shock is  the personal disorientation a person may feel when experiencing an unfamiliar way of life due to immigration or a visit to a new country, or to a move between social environments, also a simple travel to another type of life. Maybe it's too soon to tell but I have yet to experience it. I have seen some interesting things however. 

First things first, Spanish people are EXTREMELY AFFECTIONATE! In the Spanish culture, when you greet someone you give them two kisses, one on each cheek. You are supposed to go right first and left second. Even though it looks like they are kissing, they are really touching cheek to cheek and kissing the air. Every once in a while, you may see people hug (I saw it mostly at the airport). But it's not just women hugging women, and men hugging women, men hug one another as well! They don't do the American hand shake, then "bring it in" type hug. They open their arms and embrace one another. That's SO DIFFERENT! In America PDA (Public Display of Affection) is frowned upon, here it's as common as walking. They walk everywhere here! My walk to school is 25 minutes! We've gone on two excursions and for both we walked to the sites. I think they only drive if the walking distance is more than 50 minutes, THAT IS CRAZY! We also eat at different times, and they are all portioned differently. Breakfast is at whatever time you wake up, and it's usually just toast and coffee. Spanish people are caffeine addicts! Lunch is served from 1pm to 4pm and it is usually your heaviest meal. Dinner is served anywhere from 8:30-10:30, isn't that late? In America we'd be too worried about getting fat.

The Mediterranean diet is interesting. I want to say they eat almost anything. Vegetarians, especially vegan, this may not be the place for you. They serve beef, pork, and fish a lot. They are really big on eating fish, they serve bread with every meal, and wine too! When I first arrived at my homestay my host mom asked my roommate and I did we eat fish. We both responded "Yes." She was so surprised because she said a lot of Americans don't eat fish. I thought that was weird. Later my roommate tells me "Maybe you should tell her you don't eat fish with the head on it." OOOOOOOOH My Lord, I think I may have had a panic attack if that lady would have made me a dish with eyes! I can't imagine having a staring contest with something on my plate. They also serve shrimp with the eyes on it. They serve eggs sunny side up, YUCK! 

Social norms here are very different as well. For instance in the US, when you're walking and you see someone coming, you guys kind of move over to accommodate one another. Here, they actually bump one another and its nothing. They physically knock shoulders, and keep walking. The first time it happened to me, I was thinking "What the Heck?" Where I'm from, that's the initiation of a fight.They also sneeze and cough but don't cover it. I have a teacher who coughs ALL THE TIME and he doesn't cover it and I literally witnessed a woman sneeze on her baby while pushing a stroller. I wouldn't consider myself a "germaphobe" but that's just nasty! Staring here is normal. It's is absolutely fine for someone to stare at you. I've had that happen, I just stare back. It's almost impossible to beat me in a staring contest, haha!

Malikah

No comments:

Post a Comment