Thursday, June 13, 2013

Excursions

Hey Bloggers!

Things have really kicked up. Once again, I apologize for not updating as often as you'd like. They keep me busy here. Last week I went to The Alhambra. It was so beautiful. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not a big rap fan, nor am I a big Drake fan, but after walking to the Alhambra I vowed to give Granada its own album on my social networks and name the album after the Drake song "started from the bottom now we here." Walking up all of those steps, and climbing those hills were a killer. Every time we got done climbing one set of stairs we found out there was another set! It seemed infinite! But once I got up there it was beautiful! 


It was definitely worth the walk, but I don't think I would ever do it again voluntarily. It was so hot up there and my host mom told me to bring a jacket because its cold on the inside! The only thing that jacket came in handy for was shade! I used it as a hat lol! 

We have two free weekends while here. The other two weekends we go on excursions with the program. Last weekend was one of my free weekends. I went to Almuñecar. It was very fun and beautiful as well.

You know how sand is nothing but worn down rock? Lets just say that beach had very little sand and all rock. They call it a "playa de chicos" beach of small rocks. It hurt so bad to walk on them but I got used to it. It was too cold to get in the water (not sure if I would have anyway). Nevertheless it was very fun. Another cultural difference, they don't classify their beaches as nude beaches but there will be topless women. A LOT OF THEM! I was so shocked because there were babies running around making "rock castles" right behind what I would consider "nude" women. 

It seemed like we were hungry majority of the trip. We found a really good deal on food at a Chinese restaurant. I love Chinese food, and eating Chinese food  in Spain was one of the things I said I would do. It was interesting. For starters, they brought us these rice cakes as appetizers. They looked like Styrofoam and tasted like fish. Needless to say, after having one bite I was done! Here's a pic of them just in case you think I'm exaggerating. 
We were able to order an appetizer, a starch, an entree, and a dessert for 5.50. I ordered chicken and mushroom soup, special fried rice, and beef with vegetables. Here's something interesting for all you Chinese food eaters. You know how we always joke about the food Chinese people are giving us? "that's not real chicken, that's not a real rib, that's not beef etc.!" The beef they give us is actual beef, but it's veal! I noticed on the menu in Spanish it said "ternera con verduras" and on the English side it said "beef with vegetables." Ternera is the Spanish word for veal. Here are pictures of my food it was very tasty. 
Funny how depending on where you are geographically, the fried rice they serve you can come in different colors. 

Okay so for dessert.  First off, I'm not a sweet-eater. I like food, I'll pass on cakes and cookies and ice cream and pies. I do however love the Spanish custard called "Flan." I had my reservations about getting a Spanish pudding from a Chinese restaurant. Just like I don't go to a Chinese Restaurant and order soul food even though they have it. I just don't trust it. So I waited for my colleague Danielle to try hers before I ordered a dessert. It looked good and Danielle told me it was the best that she'd ever had. So I caved and ordered it. It was the only thing I liked on the menu anyway. 


It was neither the best nor the worst that I've ever had. It was alright and overall a great experience.

We left to come back to Granada, Sunday. We had to check out of our hotel at 12:00 so we we decided to be beach bums while passing time. We walked almost the entire beach. Then I got a flash back of my childhood. One of my family traditions is where we bring in the New Year. We go to Brigantine, NJ (right outside of Atlantic City) every year to my grandparent's condo and we bring in the New Year together as one. We usually stay there for a week. Some people would say that my grandfather spoiled me, I would argue that he showered me with unconditional love and attention. Anyway, no matter how early we would leave to go back to Newark, and no matter how cold it was in the month of January, no matter how much his health was declining; every year, the morning before we left to go back to Newark, he would take me and we would walk along the beach and he would let me pick up seashells. When I would miss a good one, he would pick it up for me. For some reason, being there at peace with myself and nature. I started thinking of the Footprints poem. I thought of the part that said "when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you." Here's something special I'm going to share with you. The day I left, I went to visit my grandfathers grave. I spent some time with him there. As I was leaving the house to go to Newark airport, I grabbed my passport (the most crucial item you need when you are going on a journey) and a picture of my grandfather holding my hands at my first birthday party. As I was leaving, I whispered "okay, now I really need you to hold my hand. It's you and me!" I consider my grandfather my God sent angel.  As memories of my childhood flashed, I started looking down while walking. Now remember I said that this was a rock beach. So instead of picking up seashells I picked up rocks. 

They were the most unique!

I go to Seville this weekend. I'll chat with you all when I return. Thanks for your continued support.

Hasta la proxima vez,

Malikah





No comments:

Post a Comment